Possess complete knowledge of the Firm’s philosophy and is conversant with its quality control policies and procedures. Primarily responsible for larger and more complex engagements and may oversee two or more engagements simultaneously. Assumes responsibility for supervising engagements and special assignments, can review work papers and financial statements, and can communicate with clients on a one-to-one basis. Provides tax compliance, planning and consulting. Expected to participate in administrative planning, particularly in continuing education and personnel development. Supports the Firm’s mission, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence and competence, teamwork, collaboration, innovation, respect, personalization, commitment, and accountability.
Desired Skills and Experience
Knowledge and Technical Skills
- Ability to supervise engagements and special assignments using established Firm policies and procedures
- Coordinate various phases of engagements: plan engagements, budget time and expenses, monitor actual performance against budget, review working papers for accuracy and completeness, and review compiled or reviewed financial statements for suitability of presentation
- Resolve accounting and tax problems as they arise
- Maintain a steady relationship with clients throughout the business year
- Support training of staff members, offer guidance and direction and provide feedback of work papers and tax return preparation
- Assign work to staff members based on their knowledge and capabilities
- Ensure that work papers, financial statements, tax returns, representation letters and management letters are prepared in accordance with generally accepted professional and Firm standards
- Continue to develop long-term professional relationships with clients through exceptional client service including: communicate engagement’s progress, problems, resolutions, financial information, tax activity and other business concerns to the client
- Review with manager or partner significant findings that raise questions involving tax implications and possible tax planning opportunities
- Identify opportunities to sell additional services to existing clients and with management participation in selling these services
- Read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or government regulations
- Prepare staff evaluation reports
- Prepare tax returns of all types i.e. individual, corporate, partnership, estate, trust, gift, welfare benefit plan and various state income tax returns
- Research of technical tax issues
- Prepare tax projections
- IRS/State correspondence and resolutions
Perform other assigned duties, as requested
- Communicate timely with senior manager, director and partner on engagement status
- Continue to gain client’s confidence through responsiveness and effective relationships
- Relate well with client service team and other Firm associates
- Group presentation skills, such as teaching internal CPE classes or presentations to groups
- Apply Firm’s mission statement to all aspects of service approach
- Recognize the importance of existing clients and obtaining new clients
- Look for opportunities to expand services to existing and new clients
- Involvement in professional and community activities
- Display innovative leadership
- Able to delegate effectively
- Assist with firm recruiting (career fairs, firm events, etc.)
- Able to act as an instructor in professional development programs for new hires
- Responsible for the supervision of supervisor, senior, semi-senior, staff and para-professionals.
- Knowledge of accounting principles and tax laws and requirements.
- Knowledge of Windows, Word, Excel, Epace, Depreciation Solutions, Pro-Systems fx, RIA, and any other software deemed necessary to provide work papers, working trial balances, and related spreadsheets to support tax returns and tax consulting and planning.
- Attention to details, ability to multi-task, ability to plan and follow through on engagements. Good technical tax skills, ability to research tax issues, and ability to work efficiently.
Educations and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting from an accredited college or university is required. A Master’s degree and CPA certificate is preferred. Accounting experience – 6 to 8 years.