Jesus Socorro, CPA, is the Managing Principal of MBAF’s Risk Advisory Services practice. Jesus has been in the public accounting profession since 1999. He covers the Miami – New York corridor.
Jesus has extensive global, cross-functional leadership experience managing small and large teams on the audits and capital markets transactions of publicly-traded and privately-held companies in various industries ranging from start-ups through Fortune 500. He has substantial SEC experience, including domestic and international public offerings, M&A and US GAAP and IFRS audits of financial statements and internal controls under PCAOB auditing standards.
Having served clients across a broad spectrum of industries, Jesus has had a particular focus within real estate, healthcare, pharmaceuticals and professional sports teams. His technical proficiency encompasses financial and real estate asset valuation, leasing, business combinations, revenue recognition, equity-based compensation, consolidations and derivative financial instruments.
Jesus has worked effectively with boards, audit committees, internal audit departments, management teams, attorneys and bankers on a wide array of audits and special projects that require efficient execution with a resultant high-quality work product. His ability to adapt and risk-adjust on a client-by-client basis has allowed him to serve a diverse base of clients and financial statement users.
Prior to joining MBAF, Jesus worked for a Big 4 firm where he spent much of his time serving publicly-traded companies spanning a variety of industries. He also had a stint in industry with a publicly-traded real estate finance company as its technical accounting manager.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants – Downtown Miami Chapter – Past President, 2006-2007
- Florida State Board of Accountancy, 2016-Current
- Healthcare Financial Management Association, 2010-Current (2014-2015 Miami Education Committee Chair)
- National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts, 2006-Current
- Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting – Past (Founding) Board Member of the Miami Chapter, 2002
- Cuban-American CPA Association – Past President, 2002-2003; Member, 2000-Current
- Florida International University Alumni Association, 2014-Current
- Hispanic Unity of Florida – Board Member, 2015-2016; 2003-2004
- Kellogg Leadership Circle, 2014-Current
- Miami Children’s Health System – Finance Committee, 2015-Current
- Northwestern University Leadership Circle, 2014-Current
- Palmer Trinity School – Board of Trustees, 2016
- United Way of Miami-Dade – 2000-Current (Tocqueville Society Cabinet Member, 2014-Current)
- University of Miami Citizens Board, 2016
- The Beacon Council, 2002-2003
- Harvard University – Management and Leadership Program, 2014
- Northwestern University, J.L. Kellogg School of Management – Master of Business Administration, 2007
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology – Graduate Business Study, 2007
- Florida International University – Bachelor of Accounting, 1999
FASB Issues Guidance to Determine the Customer in Service Concession Arrangements of Share-Based Payment Awards
On 16 May 2017, the FASB issued ASU No. 2017-10, Service Concession Arrangements (Topic 853): Determining the Customer of the Operation Services. The FASB issued this ASU to eliminate diversity in practice in how an operating entity determines the cu ...Explore
In response to growing market demand from customers, vendors, business partners and regulators for useful information about an entity’s cybersecurity risk management efforts, the AICPA has expanded the options available for organizations to vol ...Explore
In May 2014, the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) issued Accounting Standards Update (ASU) No. 2014-09, Revenue from Contracts with Customers (Topic 606 or ASC 606). This ASU introduces a new comprehensive model for revenue recognition, wh ...Explore
On 10 May 2017, the FASB issued ASU No. 2017-09, Compensation—Stock Compensation (Topic 718) — Scope of Modification Accounting. The FASB issued this ASU to provide clarity, eliminate diversity in practice and reduce cost and complexity when appl ...Explore
Jesus Socorro, CPA, Managing Principal of the Risk Advisory practice at nationally recognized public accounting firm MBAF, has been appointed to the Florida Board of Accountancy. The appointment was made by Governor Rick Scott, and, once confirmed by ...Explore