Manuel E. Pravia, CPA, is a principal in the Tax and Accounting Department in MBAF’s Miami office. His experience since 1991 spans various industries (such as restaurants and financial institutions) as well as international tax (including corporate, foreign nationals, and expatriates). He also focuses on corporate tax accounting issues (ASC 740), an area that he dealt with extensively during his ten years of corporate tax experience at several prominent South Florida companies.
Manny is a member of the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) and the Florida Institute of CPAs (FICPA). His involvement with the FICPA includes the FICPA Federal Taxation Committee (which he chaired in 2013) as well as the Committee on Nominations. He has been involved with the United Way of Miami-Dade County, having chaired the Agency Audit Committee and serving for three years on the Community Investment Committee. He has also served on the Board of Directors of Alpha Kappa Psi Professional Business Fraternity and is currently Treasurer of the Alpha Kappa Psi Foundation.
Manny regularly presents at continuing professional education seminars and has been an instructor for Becker CPA Review. He has been an adjunct professor in the Florida International University School of Accounting since 2007 and previously served on the FIU School of Business Alumni Chapter Board.
A graduate of the University of Miami with a bachelor’s degree in business administration, Manny completed his master of science in taxation at FIU, where he is a Founder of his business fraternity’s chapter.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants – Federal Taxation Committee, Past Chair; Committee on Nominations
- Alpha Kappa Psi Foundation – Board of Directors, Treasurer
- Alpha Kappa Psi, Professional Business Fraternity – Board of Directors, Past Member
- Florida International University – School of Business Alumni Chapter, Past Board Member
- United Way of Miami-Dade –Community Investments Committee past member; Audit Committee Past Chair
Publications and Seminars
- ASC 740 Financial Statement Disclosures, FICPA Accounting Show, (September 2014)
- Federal Tax Update, FICPA CPAs in Industry Conference (2012-2014), FSU Accounting Conference (2014), FICPA Tax and Financial Planning Conference (2013-2014), FICPA South Dade Chapter (2013-2014), Cuban-American CPAs Annual Tax Update (2014)
- Conceptos Generales Impuestos sobre la Renta EEUU, Seccional Valle del Cauca, Asociación Nacional de Empresarios (ANDI) (2013)
- FormS Training – What’s So Special about S-Corps? FICPA Tax and Financial Planning Conference, 2012
- CPAs Play Vital Role in IRS Examinations, Florida CPA Today – May/June 2012
- IRS Examination Issues, Greater Fort Lauderdale Tax Council: Luncheon Program – December 2011
- On the Lookout for Alternative Minimum Tax Issues, FICPA’s Florida Institute: Federal Taxation ® Conference (FIFT) – November 2011
- An Accounting for Income Taxes Primer, American Association of Attorney-CPA’s: 2012 Southeast Regional Education Conference – October 2011
- Tax Issues Affecting Community Banks, Financial Managers Society (FMS): Finance & Accounting Forum for Financial Institutions – June 2011
- The Uncertain World of Tax Positions, Florida CPA Today – January/February 2010
- Florida International University – Master of Science in Taxation
- University of Miami – Bachelor of Business Administration
H.R. 1, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, is a wide-ranging proposed tax bill addressing many different aspects of the Internal Revenue Code. The last time such a far-reaching tax act was considered and passed was during the Reagan Administration, 31 year ...Explore
On December 13, 2016 the Internal Revenue Service released the optional standard mileage rates used to calculate the deductible costs of operating an automobile for business, charitable, medical, or moving purposes. The business mileage rate decrease ...Explore
The IRS has granted relief in certain situations to anyone who missed the 60 day deadline for rolling over retirement disbursements into another retirement plan or a different individual retirement account (IRA). Under the current law, if you receive ...Explore
Generally speaking, an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is obtained and used in circumstances where a person who is filing income taxes, or is included on a tax return, may not be eligible for a Social Security number. Instead, the IT ...Explore
The tax reform framework released last month by the Trump administration and Republican leaders in Congress could provide tax cuts or tax increases, depending on how the details are ultimately finalized. “There’s a lot of moving pieces in ...Explore
The chances of getting audited are slim for most taxpayers, but that doesn’t deter many people from being terrified of the prospect. “There’s the audit lottery,” says Mike Campbell, a certified public accountant and tax partne ...Explore
IRS Guidance May Provide Avenue for Reduction of Taxable Income Recognition Relating to Non-Accrual Loans
Manuel E. Pravia – Financial institutions may be impacted in a favorable way by new Internal Revenue Service guidance regarding the treatment of non-accrual interest for income tax purposes. Generally, accrual-basis financial institutions would ...Explore