Richard Rampell, CPA, is a principal at MBAF, and is the principal-in-charge of the firm’s Palm Beach office. Richard has more than four decades of public accounting experience. Early in his career, Richard worked for Ernst & Ernst in New York City prior to founding Rampell & Rampell, P.A. with his father, where he was CEO from 1981 to 2016.
Richard’s experience includes providing assurance and advisory services to companies in all phases of growth from start-ups to mid-sized corporations, as well as forensic accounting and litigation support services.
One highlight of Richard’s career started in 1987. Richard sued the State of Florida, challenging the nonencroachment laws that prohibited one CPA from soliciting a client of another CPA firm. He claimed that this restriction infringed on his rights of (commercial) free speech. The case went on until 1994, when both the Florida and U.S. Supreme Courts ruled in his favor. The New York Times called him a “folk hero.”
Richard’s current and former professional affiliations demonstrate his commitment to the profession and the community. The Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants named him as one of the one hundred most influential CPAs in the last fifty years. He has authored numerous articles on accounting and tax matters. He has written a column for the Wall Street Journal entitled “By the Books,” and co-authored “Tax Aspects of Divorce in Florida,” published by the National Business Institute.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- National Public Radio Foundation – Trustee
- NPR, Inc./NPR Foundation – Audit Committee Member
- Princeton University – Planned Giving Advisory Committee Member
- Good Samaritan Hospital – Governing Board Member
- Palm Beach Civic Association – Board of Directors Member
- WPBI Public Radio Station – Past Member
- Economic Council of Palm Beach County – Past Member and Director
- RailAmerica, Inc., a NYSE company – Past Director and Audit Committee Chair
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants – Past President of East Coast Chapter and Member of the Board of Governors
- Gulfstream Goodwill Industries – Past President
- Palm Beach Tax Institute – Past President and Founding Member
- Princeton Alumni Association – Past President
- Palm Beach Chamber of Commerce – Past Treasurer
- The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania – Master of Business Administration
- Harvard Business School, Advanced Management Program Certificate
- Princeton University – A.B. in Economics, Cum Laude
Marriage proposals and weddings are joyous events, but for many couples the thrill of putting a ring on it also means saying “I do” to a higher tax bill. The reason is what the tax industry refers to as “the marriage penalty” ...Explore
For wealthy Americans, a big win by Hillary Clinton on Nov. 8 could get pretty expensive. Clinton is proposing higher taxes on Americans who make more than $250,000, including a 4 percent “fair share surcharge” on incomes over $5 million ...Explore