Jesus Socorro is the Managing Principal of MBAF’s Risk & Transaction Advisory practice. He and his team serve clients in a variety of advisory capacities around the world, including: SOX 404 compliance; preparation for IPOs or other liquidity events; technical accounting consultations (including new revenue and lease standard implementation); IT Risk; and M&A transaction advisory and due diligence, including issuing reports regarding the quality of earnings.
With a broad, global, audit and advisory background, Jesus has extensive cross-functional leadership experience managing small and large teams on the audits, advisory projects and capital markets transactions of publicly-traded and privately-held companies in various industries ranging from start-ups through Fortune 500. He has substantial SEC experience, including domestic and international public offerings, M&A and US GAAP and IFRS audits of financial statements and internal controls under PCAOB auditing standards. He also has experience working with PE-backed companies through governance matters, financial reporting, carve-out financial statements, internal control development and enhancement, business process improvement and transaction structuring in contemplation of liquidity events.
Having served clients across a broad spectrum of industries, Jesus has had a particular focus within real estate, healthcare, pharmaceuticals and professional sports teams. His technical proficiency encompasses financial and real estate asset valuation, leasing, business combinations, revenue recognition, equity-based compensation, consolidations and derivative financial instruments.
Jesus has worked effectively with boards, audit committees, internal audit departments, management teams, attorneys and bankers on a wide array of engagements that require efficient execution with a resultant high-quality work product.
His ability to adapt and risk-adjust on a client-by-client basis has allowed him to serve a diverse base of clients and financial statement users.
Prior to joining MBAF, Jesus worked for EY where he spent much of his time serving publicly-traded companies. He also had a stint in industry with a publicly-traded real estate finance company as its technical accounting manager.
- Florida Board of Accountancy, 2016-Current
- National Association of State Boards of Accountancy, Ethics Committee, 2017
- Veru Inc., Board of Directors 2016-Current (Audit Committee Chair, 2017)
- National Association of Corporate Directors, 2017
- Miami Finance Forum, 2016-Current
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, 1999-Current
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants – Downtown Miami Chapter – Past President, 2006- 2007
- Healthcare Financial Management Association, 2010- Current (2014-2015 Miami Education Committee Co- Chair)
- National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts, 2006-2016
- Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting – Past (Founding) Board Member of the Miami Chapter, 2002
- Cuban-American CPA Association – Past President, 2002-2003; Member, 2000-Current
- Palmer Trinity School Board of Trustees, 2016-Current
- University of Miami Citizens Board, 2016-Current
- National Association of Independent Schools, 2016-Current
- Florida International University Alumni Association, 2014-Current
- Hispanic Unity of Florida – Board Member, 2015, 2003- 2004
- Kellogg Leadership Circle, 2014-Current
- Miami Children’s Health System – Finance Committee, 2015-Current
- Northwestern University Leadership Circle, 2014-Current
- United Way of Miami-Dade – 2000-Current (Tocqueville Society Cabinet Member, 2014)
- The Beacon Council, 2002-2003
- Harvard Business School – Certificate, Audit Committee Governance Program, 2017
- Harvard University – Certificate, Management and Leadership Program, 2014
- Northwestern University, J.L. Kellogg School of Management – Master of Business Administration, 2007
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology – Graduate Business Study, 2007
- Florida International University – Bachelor of Accounting, 1999
The FASB has released a proposed Accounting Standard Update (ASU) Collaborative Arrangement (Topic 808): Targeted Improvements. The proposed update is being issued to clarify the interaction between Topic 808: Targeted Improvements and Topic 606: Rev ...Explore
FASB Proposes Improvements to the Accounting for Implementation Costs of Cloud Computing Arrangements
The FASB issued a proposed Accounting Standards Update (ASU) which clarifies the accounting for implementation costs related to a cloud computing arrangement (also known as a hosting arrangement) that is a service contract. If adopted as proposed, th ...Explore
The FASB has issued Accounting Standards Update (ASU) No. 2018-03, Technical Corrections and Improvements to Financial Instruments—Overall (Subtopic 825-10): Recognition and Measurement of Financial Assets and Financial Liabilities, that clarifies ...Explore
On Tuesday, February 20, 2018, the SEC voted unanimously, approving a statement and interpretive guidance to assist public companies in preparing disclosures about cybersecurity risks and incidents. Jay Clayton, SEC Chairman said: “In todayR ...Explore