Manuel E. Pravia, CPA, is a principal in the Tax and Accounting Department in MBAF’s Miami office. His experience since 1991 spans various industries (such as restaurants and financial institutions) as well as international tax (including corporate, foreign nationals, and expatriates). He also focuses on corporate tax accounting issues (ASC 740), an area that he dealt with extensively during his ten years of corporate tax experience at several prominent South Florida companies.
Manny is a member of the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) and the Florida Institute of CPAs (FICPA). His involvement with the FICPA includes the FICPA Federal Taxation Committee (which he chaired in 2013) as well as the Committee on Nominations. He has been involved with the United Way of Miami-Dade County, having chaired the Agency Audit Committee and serving for three years on the Community Investment Committee. He has also served on the Board of Directors of Alpha Kappa Psi Professional Business Fraternity and is currently Treasurer of the Alpha Kappa Psi Foundation.
Manny regularly presents at continuing professional education seminars and has been an instructor for Becker CPA Review. He has been an adjunct professor in the Florida International University School of Accounting since 2007 and previously served on the FIU School of Business Alumni Chapter Board.
A graduate of the University of Miami with a bachelor’s degree in business administration, Manny completed his master of science in taxation at FIU, where he is a Founder of his business fraternity’s chapter.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants – Federal Taxation Committee, Past Chair; Committee on Nominations
- Alpha Kappa Psi Foundation – Board of Directors, Treasurer
- Alpha Kappa Psi, Professional Business Fraternity – Board of Directors, Past Member
- Florida International University – School of Business Alumni Chapter, Past Board Member
- United Way of Miami-Dade –Community Investments Committee past member; Audit Committee Past Chair
Publications and Seminars
- ASC 740 Financial Statement Disclosures, FICPA Accounting Show, (September 2014)
- Federal Tax Update, FICPA CPAs in Industry Conference (2012-2014), FSU Accounting Conference (2014), FICPA Tax and Financial Planning Conference (2013-2014), FICPA South Dade Chapter (2013-2014), Cuban-American CPAs Annual Tax Update (2014)
- Conceptos Generales Impuestos sobre la Renta EEUU, Seccional Valle del Cauca, Asociación Nacional de Empresarios (ANDI) (2013)
- FormS Training – What’s So Special about S-Corps? FICPA Tax and Financial Planning Conference, 2012
- CPAs Play Vital Role in IRS Examinations, Florida CPA Today – May/June 2012
- IRS Examination Issues, Greater Fort Lauderdale Tax Council: Luncheon Program – December 2011
- On the Lookout for Alternative Minimum Tax Issues, FICPA’s Florida Institute: Federal Taxation ® Conference (FIFT) – November 2011
- An Accounting for Income Taxes Primer, American Association of Attorney-CPA’s: 2012 Southeast Regional Education Conference – October 2011
- Tax Issues Affecting Community Banks, Financial Managers Society (FMS): Finance & Accounting Forum for Financial Institutions – June 2011
- The Uncertain World of Tax Positions, Florida CPA Today – January/February 2010
- Florida International University – Master of Science in Taxation
- University of Miami – Bachelor of Business Administration
The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (the Act) has brought with it many changes that impact taxpayers. One of these is the treatment of moving expenses. Under the Act, work-related moving expenses incurred in 2018 will no longer be deductible, and employer reim ...Explore
*NOTE: This Alert has been updated with new guidance that was provided by the IRS Oct. 3, 2018 On December 22, 2017, President Trump signed into law the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. There are many changes under the new law that impact businesses. One in pa ...Explore
In 2017, we reported on how the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (the Act), while mostly positive, did raise some concerns for the banking industry. Now that we are through the year-end reporting season and the first quarter of 2018, some of these concerns have ...Explore
A sweeping new law, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), was passed in late 2017 with significant implications for businesses. Lenders need to be aware of these changes and understand the potential ramifications for their borrowers — both positive and ...Explore
Small business owners who don’t take time to understand the new tax law may be in for a painful filing season next spring. While accountants and tax attorneys always recommend owners review their finances and meet with tax professionals well be ...Explore
The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, with its lower tax rates and higher standard deduction, has put extra money in workers’ paychecks in 2018. And many taxpayers may realize when they do their taxes next season that they’re eligible for ev ...Explore
Wall Street and Washington have been cheer-leading Walmart Stores Inc. (WMT – Get Report) , Apple Inc. (AAPL – Get Report) , Comcast Corp. (CMCSA – Get Report) and other big corporations offering employees bonuses or wage hikes from ...Explore
Confused about how the new tax law will affect you? You’re not alone. With the ink barely dry on a new tax law, confusion abounds on what moves to make or even what to ask a tax preparer. So what do you need to know before you collect that box ...Explore